Part Six
Aliases For
Potential Crybabies
MarjTheBombshell and
Solly Boy, the Enforcer
I am the MarjTheBombshell in the title of this piece. Solly Boy
is the other part of the two-person dynamic in the saga.
So back in 1999, when AOL was in its infancy, there were
popular chat rooms where you could spend time and have fun
talking to strangers, and maybe even meet those with whom
you communicated. We had “screen names” that we used so our
identity remained anonymous. I created “MarjTheBombshell,”
as a tribute to how I wanted to be perceived. It was a bit self-in-
volved, but I got attention.
I never actually wanted to meet a man in a chat room and
seriously “partner up.” I did not think I was nothing without a
man, and “getting married” was not in my wheelhouse as a reach
for entelechy. I grew to actually like not being attached and en-
joyed solitude and being alone after a hard day at work teaching
sixth graders. But... I did like to socialize at that time, so when
my “Singles Over 40” group started to plan local gatherings,
I was in. I loved meeting the faces behind the names.
I loved hanging out on Friday nights at Long Island clubs and
meeting this same group for occasional lunches in Queens
restaurants. I lived in Manhattan (and still live here), and
I had a car (I still have a car), and keep it in the garage under
my building. When one lunch was being planned, Paul, “NightCop,”
or something, I cannot remember, contacted me. I knew Paul from
months of talking in that room, and in a bizarre coincidence,
Paul was a business associate of my father. My father owned
Columbia Silver Company, and Paul produced some items my
father needed for an association. Paul asked me if I would take
his friend to the restaurant on Woodhaven Boulevard, which was
a short drive out of the Midtown Tunnel. He also told me his
“friend” lived close by, on West 20th Street, and would meet
me in the lobby of my building. “So what’s his name?” I asked.
“Solly Boy,” Paul replied. He added he is known as “The En-
forcer.” I had read about him in the newspapers. He did hard
time. His name speaks for itself.
He was well known for his crimes, and at one time, he was
featured on many tabloid-styleTV shows.
“Will this be a problem?” Paul asked. He assured me it was
safe. I was fine with it. What could happen? It was extreme to
think he would whip out a gun and blow my head off.
This now comes flooding back: I was best friends in sum-
mer camp with a girl from Merrick who, years later, robbed
houses at gunpoint, and it was in the newspaper. When I saw the
article about her crimes in Newsday, I showed it to my mother,
who replied without missing a beat, “It figures you’d be friends
with her.” At the time, I was not shocked by my mother’s reac-
tion because she was the queen of insults. She had three great
enemies in life: her husband and her two daughters.
So the day came and there he was... in my lobby, ready
for the day’s adventure. We made small talk on the way out, the
lunch was uneventful, and Solly flirted with Suzy. But the ride
back to Manhattan was a different experience. We hit bad traffic,
and Solly wanted to get back to attend a lecture at a university.
His impatience was palpable, and he was growing angry. I was
getting edgy. But we got back, and a block after we hit West
30th Street, Solly thanked me for the ride and
jumped out of the vehicle.
Bye Solly. We never spoke again after that day. But I hear
he likes taking long walks and feeding pigeons in the park.
Dumped by Benjamin Weiner
I first saw Benny Weiner on October 24, 2008, at a Soap Opera
Festival held in Newark, New Jersey. He moderated a very in-
teresting panel discussion with some old soap stars. Benny also
presented a loving tribute to his father, Manny, who was in the
serial The Secret Wedding during the 1970s. He was known in
comedy clubs as Manny the Heckler because he made fun of
those in the audience. He passed away in March 2006.
I was very impressed with Benny’s participation, so I went
to the Drama Book Shop and bought his book, The Son of a
Heckler, to learn more about him and his career. It turns out
his grandfather is the famous comic Tiny Weiner. (Benny goes
by his grandfather’s surname). Benny’s mother is the daughter
of the infamous Tiny Weiner, who was a pioneer during televi-
sion’s golden age. Soon after that festival,
I sent Benny an email.
Benny:
I am almost finished reading The Son of a Heckler, and I
Marjorie J. Levine ~ 65am loving it so much I am not wanting it to end.
This is a fascinating story of a true journey... and I think what is so
amazing is how the narrative is factually presented with visual
memorabilia in photos and is also written with layers of extremely
dark wit and humor. It is hilarious! I am just astounded by so many
parts. And it is so well presented that I feel as if I am actually watching
the sagas unfold. I think you did a great job showing in subtle
ways how people interacted and related to your father. Benny,
your book is just wonderful. Let me put it this way: it’s a book
that is the best independent film I have ever read.
Marjorie
Shortly after I sent the above email to Benny, I wrote to
him again and asked if he would meet me for lunch. I have no
boundaries. He immediately replied, “Sure,” and we met on a
Wednesday at noon at a diner on Upper Broadway in New York
City. We started to talk, and right away I was impressed with
Benny’s straightforward, honest, and down-to-earth manner. He
spoke about his musical, Early to Bed, and he said he regretted
that the show’s “time (on Broadway) was short.” He discussed,
in a very forthright manner, how the last few days of the show
turned into a fiasco because the performers were not getting the
response they expected. He wrote Early to Bed based on his re-
lationship with his father at the time. His father never saw the
show. Benny says in his book that his father blocked all com-
munication with him because Benny did not go to Manny’s last
stand-up comedy show in upstate New York. The loss of the
relationship was a huge disappointment to him that
he lives with to this day.
I went to a few of Benny’s book signings to show support
for his endeavors and always had a good time. Benny has an
extensive list of accomplishments.
He had a salute to Brucie Decker, which he performed at a
New York City nightclub, and he has done a few comedy albums.
Benny was working on a musical about his father and included some
of Manny’s best lines:
“You are all better than a sleeping pill.”
“If I could get this audience to laugh, I would make this
night a tax deduction for my charity work.”
“My last girlfriend watched me like a hawk, and she was
up my ass more than a rectal suppository.”
Benny Weiner, son of Manny the Heckler, stopped talking
to me because I stopped going to his shows at New York City
nightclubs. I did not go to his show where he sang the songs of
Brucie Decker because I thought it would be torture. Benny was
not a great singer, and to listen to him drone on for two hours
while strumming his guitar would have been unbearable. Any-
way, I think his shows were “bringers” where he was required
to have a certain number of asses in seats, or
he would not get stage time.
The last time I was asked to go to his show, I told him I
had nobody to go with, and he said I could sit with his mother
and his father’s old comedy partner from the 1960s. But I had
seen his show many times. How many book signings and shows
did he want me to go to? He was also angry that I was not buying
enough of his merch and stuff even though I bought two of his
books and even his mother’s book. So he cut me off…
Yikes. So immature. Didn’t his father do that to him for the
same reason?
Catfished
Jeeves, pass the smelling salts. In my broadcast now, I try to
gain new insights into a specific emotional saga and to achieve
a greater perspective and understanding of my choices during an
earlier time when I was “catfished.” And I was... for a long time.
I try to work through the confusion and to determine the
motivations behind the behavior of the “other person” within
the maze of numerous interactions that happened over the many
years of a very bizarre period of my life. During the journey, I
remained quiet and allowed it all to unfold in great mysteries
“behind the scenes.” It was layered, complicated, and filled with
great contradictions. This was my lucid “trip” into the surreal
world of the dark web, where bends in a personal dynamic confuse reality.
I did not love this stranger whom I met in my show back in
2013. We can call him “DarkCode.” He watched my show and
became obsessed with me. He never missed a show. We inter-
acted in my chat room during my broadcast: with me “on cam,”
and he typed in the chat box and sent me
private messages all day at a social media site.
He never revealed his face and kept his true identity private,
but he did send several photos, which he claimed were of
him but were obviously not.
He clearly was not who he said he was. But back then, he
“got inside my head”with his manipulations and mind tricks.
I became dependent on him as he advanced to becoming my
videographer. He would record my shows as I broadcast from
several New York City street locations.
Even though his identity was murky, he was eventually
able to convince me that his emotional well-being and happiness
were totally dependent on having me in his life on a computer. If
I told him to “go away,” he made me believe he was becoming
very self-destructive. And he was jealous, controlling, and he
created elaborate sagas in messages about adventures that were,
by turns, entertaining and then alarming. He spent years creating
detailed stories about his life, and I went down that rabbit hole as
if I was hypnotized and in some trance.
This was a deep dive into mind bends and will be incom-
prehensible to many of those who live in the real world with
grounded lives. To them, this will be totally impossible to even
understand. They function in a tangible world with regular ac-
tivity of traveling with a spouse, entertaining family, meeting
friends for lunch, shopping, renovating, weekend getaways
to country homes, and visits with the grandchildren. In other
words, they thrive in and enjoy a senior reality.
That world: a world that alluded me. But, there is a subter-
ranean subculture of bizarre “night owls” who interconnect with
each other on social media and who allow feelings for others in
that world to marinate internally. They move within a different
world, a world of fantasy and even delusion. And those “kooks”
will “get it.” In my specific situation, I was enabling this catfish’s
“idea” of me... in all his full-blown delusional glory.
He even pulled others into his agenda... a woman named
“Jinx” who contacted me and told me I was “walking him to his
grave.” She posted this to him, which I was able to see: “I will
not stand over your grave! But I will go with you to it! And as
long as I have a breath, she (me) will not be the reason!” They
created a tag team for the purpose of manipulation to attach me
to him for their own devious purposes.
Why did I allow this? I think the easiest reply is that I got
caught up in a daily drama in which I was the main player and
living within my own reality TV show. I could have blocked
him, but that would have ended my own personal version of The
Truman Show. He was insidious in multiple ways, and when you
are being “gaslighted” by an expert, you make excuses for the
emotional abuse and think you are ahead of it when, in fact, you
are controlled and just a personal marionette for a catfish whose
own needs are being fulfilled along the way.
Regardless of the level of fame, these characters crawl out
of the woodwork and advance into the lives of the vulnerable
within a twisted fantasy world. I had read about The Miranda
Obsession, and it was said she was the first “catfish” during
the 1970s and 1980s. She seduced, over the phone, many well-
known high-profile men connected to Hollywood, and as those
calls advanced, she sent fake photos. She was not who she said
she was, and she may have met only one of them, and they con-
tinued to communicate with her for years.
Yes, cyber night crawlers do live in an alternate universe...
a world of total limerence. But now, from where I sit, in some
ways I feel I belong with them.
I slide into those esoteric relationships like a second skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.